Monday, January 20, 2014

Update


2013 ended on a busy note as we are finishing up year-end reporting and updating our policy manual.   I also was able to throw in a couple of night shift patrols and enjoyed getting out on the street as much as I ever have.  It is always reassuring to me to watch how our officers handle themselves on the calls they respond to.

I went on many calls where I watched officers display incredible patience and compassion to individuals who’d worn out their welcome with everyone else.  Officers managed to resolve tough, tense situations throughout the night by talking to those involved and resolving problems without using any force.  There was one incident in particular where a fight had taken place with many intoxicated people requiring one of them to be checked at the emergency room as he had been hit in the head with a blunt object.  The officer who drove him to the hospital had requested assistance as the man had become very agitated and was refusing to get out of the squad car at the hospital.  When I arrived there were already three officers there and they were using their verbal skills to deescalate the situation.   Once again, I was amazed at the patience and kindness displayed by the officers as they were being verbally threatened and called every name in the book.  

When we are in the final interview with police officer candidates, I always ask myself, “would I want this person to show up at a time of need for me, family member or friend?”  I can confidently say every officer I recently worked with fits that bill.

Lastly, I wanted to share my vision for Duluth P.D. in 2014 which is for successful crime prevention and reduction while increasing citizens' sense of safety through greater visibility and good relations.   

My best to you in 2014!

No comments:

Post a Comment