Wednesday, February 22, 2012

10-7

10-7 is the code for off duty.  I have been 10-7 for a bit and visited family in Florida.  It was a nice break and allowed me to recharge.  I heard on a news channel there that Florida is currently leading the nation in deaths of police officers.  They highlighted some recent deaths that were really horrific cases.  Police officers deal with a lot and see things most people could not imagine.  The story made me think of this poem as I believe some in our society are very quick to judge the actions of police officers.


I'm Just Like You
author unknown

I have been where you fear to be;
I have seen what you fear to see;
I have done what you fear to do;
All these things I have done for you.

I am the one you lean upon,
The one you cast your scorn upon,
The one you bring your troubles to,
All these things I have been for you.

The one you ask to stand apart,
The one you feel should have no heart,
The one you call the "man in blue";
But I am a person, just like you.

And through the years,
I have come to see
That I am not what you ask of me.
So take this badge, take this gun;
Will you take it? - Will anyone?

And when you watch a person die
And hear a battered baby cry,
Then do you think that you can be
All these things you ask of me?

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing that. I appreciate all that the police do.

    ReplyDelete